Confirmation brings to completion the grace received through baptism. By this sacrament the baptized are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched by the strength of the Holy Spirit.
This gift conforms believers more fully to Christ and strengthens them to bear witness to Christ for the building up of his body in faith and love.
These sacraments are offered according to the guidelines established by the code of canon law and the Diocese of Greensburg.
Qualifications of Confirmation Sponsors
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received baptism, confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
Sponsors for the sacrament of confirmation must abide by the same qualifications as sponsors for the sacrament of baptism. In addition, the following guidelines and/or recommendations apply:
- There is normally one sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation.
- It is recommended that a baptismal godparent exercise the role of confirmation sponsor.
- A non-Catholic may not serve as a sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation. (It is discouraged that a spouse serve as confirmation sponsor).
Our diocese continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship (in accord with the qualifications above) from the parish in which the sponsor is registered.
Seven Dolors Parish is a part of Block 3 in the diocese, which holds confirmation for those in eighth grade in 2017-18. The diocese also has official qualifications of confirmation sponsors, as well as several guidelines and/or recommendations. For additional information, please contact the parish office.